What is Compression Therapy?
NormaTec Compression Therapy uses air pressure strategically applied to different parts of your body to help loosen up your muscles and improve blood flow. This is a system that is used by NBA, NFL, MLB, and Olympic athletes to recover after events and get the juices flowing before workouts.
Your circulatory system delivers oxygen, nutrients and hormones to every cell in your body. Simultaneously, this complex circuit removes metabolic wastes such as carbon dioxide and lactic acid, effectively flushing your system of toxins.
How it Works:
The idea behind compression therapy is that by increasing blood flow to specific parts of the body — encouraging your body to deliver more oxygen and nutrients to those areas — you can speed up recovery, relieve pain and improve athletic performance.
Created to enhance blood flow and speed recovery, the NormaTec PULSE Massage Pattern employs three key techniques—pulsing, distal release, and gradients—all to maximize your recovery.
- Instead of using static compression (squeezing) to transport fluid out of the limbs, NormaTec Pulse Technology uses dynamic compression (pulsing).
- Our patented pulsing action more effectively mimics the muscle pump of the legs and arms, greatly enhancing the movement of fluid and metabolites out of the limbs after an intense workout.
- Veins and lymphatic vessels have one-way valves that prevent fluid backflow. Similarly, NormaTec Pulse Technology uses hold pressures to keep fluids from being forced in the wrong direction.
- Because of this enhancement, instead of tapering pressure off, the PULSE and PULSE PRO can deliver maximum pressure in every zone.
- Because extended static pressure can be detrimental to the body’s normal circulatory flow, Sequential Pulse Technology releases the hold pressures once they are no longer needed to prevent backflow.
- By releasing the hold pressure in each zone as soon as possible, each portion of the limb gains maximal rest time without a significant pause between compression cycles.
Benefits of Compression Therapy:
Increase Range of Motion:
Peristaltic pulse dynamic compression rapidly enhances acute range of motion with less discomfort and time.
Lessen Pain Sensitivity:
Peristaltic pulse dynamic compression is a promising means of accelerating and enhancing recovery by reducing muscle tenderness from pressure stimuli.
Decrease Muscle Fatigue after Acute Exercise:
External pneumatic compression increases flexibility and reduces select skeletal muscle oxidative stress and proteolysis markers during recovery from heavy resistance exercise.
Clear Metabolites Passively:
Intermittent pneumatic compression significantly lowers blood lactate concentration when compared to a passive recovery group